Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Quarterly Tests

These days are pretty good.

Except for the day you get the actual results back.

The day after the quarterly test (Saturday, the 19th of August), I was just working in the office. Crap. And somehow, miraculously, that evening, I was able to summon the energy to call Kenn up on the phone and talk with him into the wee first hour of the morning. Something like what I used to do with Walter, and yet different. Rofl, I can still remember Kenn running around from his spot at the computer, the spot where his cellular phone was and the place where the phone was.

So anyway, on Monday morning, I had gotten supremely annoyed at the parents and brothers because we were supposed to go play Badminton at the old Country Club at 8, but we left close to 9:30 already. So we finally got there, and I was hit with this wealth of old memories and nostalgia. Valle Verde is an inseparable part of my childhood--i've been going there ever since I was six to train in Badminton, all the way til I was about thirteen, every weekend. In fifth to sixth grade, I trained every weekday and Saturday.

Coming back to the court that I played in for all my childhood and hadn't seen in more than three years brought back so many good memories. I found that one of the sets of chairs on the side had been removed, and the scoring post had been transferred to the other side of the court. I remembered coming with Coach Brandon to train from about eight or nine in the morning all the way until about eleven thirty to twelve. I remember all the friends I made there, all the years we'd spent studiously training.

I remembered every cut, bruise and scratch I'd incurred, every praise, every scolding, every stance-forming exercise, every jump, every bounce of the ball on the wall, every drop, every frantic dash to retrieve the ball, every mocking laugh, every handshake, every torn shuttlecock, every scraped racket, I focused it all into one super-charged smash on Alex.

It felt absolutely wonderful. I played like a God that day, glowing with nostalgia and love and I realized all the reasons why I loved this sport had never really left me. My growth spurt has also helped with the Driving and Smashing.

I guess that three-year hiatus helped me recharge. Because you see, it got to the point where I was so tired and sick of this sport that I couldn't bear playing it anymore. Just the thought of having to do it had driven me to the point of depression every Sunday morning.

Now, I can barely wait to get cracking on it again.

Of course, a sudden break into Badminton, a full-body sport, after a 3-year hiatus FROM sports is not without its consequences. The morning of the day after (i.e. today), I sat up in bed, turned around and nearly fell back down on my bed from shock. Ouch. My whole body hurt like hell. Every muscle seemed to be screaming in protest. I was almost late to class today. Haha!

And today, I got my QT scores back.

Not pretty.

English was roadkill. 53/80 (76 Highest Possible Score with incentive)
Social Science was no better. (65/80)
Science was a massacre. (44.5/55)
Filipino was a blood bath. (48/75) (50/71.75 with incentive and corrections)
Math however, was suprisingly better. (42/50)

I do NOT want to know how I faired in C.L.E. tomorrow. I might just suddenly cry. WHAT WAS UP WITH THAT SCREW-PROSTITUTES-VIOLATE-YOUR-DIGNITY QUESTION ANYWAY???

Took a whole bunch of pictures today, and I saw Enrique Sola.

Apparently, he was supposed to leave on the 15th, but didn't. His friend's birthday was on the 15th too.
So he's supposedly leaving this Thursday, the 24th.

So it turns out, Walter got Enrique too. How very interesting.

Obvious by Westlife (Yes, I know, but I don't care. They rock, no matter what anybody says.)

We started out friends but something happened inside me
Now I'm reading into everything, but there's no sign you hear the lightning, baby
You don't ever notice me turning on my charm or wonder why I'm always where you are


I've made it obvious; I’ve done everything but sing it
(I've crushed on you so long, but on and on you get me wrong)
I'm not so good with words
And since you never notice the way that we belong
I'll say it in a love song


I've heard you talk about how you want someone just like me
But every time I ask you out, we never move past friendly, no no
And you don't ever notice how I stare when we're alone or wonder why I keep you on the phone

I've made it obvious; I’ve done everything but sing it
(I've crushed on you so long but on and on you get me wrong)
I'm not so good with words
And since you never notice the way that we belong
I'll say it in a love song

You are my very first thought in the morning and my last at nightfall
You are the love that came without warning
I need you, I want you to know


I've made it obvious, so finally I'll sing it
(I've crushed on you so long)
I'm not so good with words
And since you never notice the way that we belong
I'll say it in a love song

And sing it until the day you're holding me
I've wanted you so long but on and on you get me wrong
I more than adore you but since you never seem to see


Since you never seem to see
I'll say it in this love song



5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey there! I'm glad you're playing badminton again. The people and places you mentioned are familiar. Glad to see a fellow blogger who loves to play badminton. :-)

Canadian Autumn said...

Likewise.

It's the old badminton high.

There may be all these new places to play in, but Valle Verde will always feel like home to me.

Anonymous said...

Glad to see you're writing again. By the way, Westlife's Obvious is a good song - kinda sappy but that's the idea. My Private Movie is also a good one.

Canadian Autumn said...

Hi Tin,

Not to sound abrupt, but who are you? I mean, is there any link you can give me? Any clue so as to let me know who you are?

I'll check it out, thanks.

Anonymous said...

Oops, sorry for late reply. Can't think of a better timing to ask for a link from me :) And 97 in Chinese, nice one.