Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Brother Haw once asked me

Brother Haw was my ex-Filipino teacher in H2. He's moved on to Ateneo now to further his studies, and I feel blessed that I got the chance to be his student, despite the trauma that entailed. He's a great teacher, very empathetic in some ways.

We were chatting one time.

Me: siya nga pala! nabasa ko yung kwento mo sa Anthropos
Me: ang galing talaga!
[There was this story he wrote in Anthropos, the title of last year's literary magazine for Xavier. Apart from the fact that people were just plain shocked that he was writing in English (he's a Filipino teacher, after all), there was also the fact that he wrote about how a man was heartbroken and chose to become a priest. To anyone with brains, the connection is very clear.]
Bro. Haw: malinaw ba? gets mo yung point ko?
[At this point, my first reaction was to say "Err... not really.", because I REALLY didn't get it. It wasn't until a few seconds later that I realized the last few lines (during the Christmas eve when he knelt at the Church and asked God, "Would you like some company?") that I realized he was actually saying that THAT was how he had decided to become a brother. I literally backspaced the words one by one with this somewhat shell-shocked-realization look on my face and typed in...] [EDIT: Okay, apparently, that's wrong. It wasn't then that he considered brotherhood. I remember him telling me that he got a bit addicted to it when he joined some prayer stuff way back when. This is when he realized that he wasn't alone in being alone (paradoxing). Jess was, too. And on his birthday, no less.]
Me: oo nakuha ko siya

We don't talk much anymore, but that was one of the best conversations we've ever had. Wonder where he is now...

*For those of you who are curious as to what he looks like, you can see a pic of him here.

4 comments:

Jhaw, sj said...

salamat sa repleksyon na ginawa mo. salamat din sa pag-unawa mo sa akin bilang isang mag-aaral na natakot, tinakot at pinahirapan ng isang abang guro sa Filipino.

ngunit, isa sigurong pagtatama. hindi ko "doon" inalay ang sarili ko. pero "doon" ko simulang nautunan muli na hindi ako nag-iisa sa pagiging isa sa mundo. Kung noon pakiramdam ko wala akong kasama, nagkaroon ako ng karamay nang nakita kong walang kasama si Jess sa isang kapilya.

siguro, doon nagsisimula ang lahat....ang malaman at tanggapin na may kasama ka...na may karamay ka...

Canadian Autumn said...

Oops! I-tatama ko po...

Masaya ring makarinig mula sa inyo... matagal-tagal na rin ano?

Bismark Sturm-Anrufer Von Heiligen said...

ooooh....

Si Brother Haw...

Di ko kilala pero i heard a lot of gud shtuff...

Kamusta na cher?

Canadian Autumn said...

He's one of the best, I swear.