Monday, August 07, 2006

I Guess I'm An Isya

A while ago, in Filipino class, we formally closed our discussion on Paraisong Parisukat. To end it, Mr. Claro posted a seemingly philosophical question.

Isya ka ba?

Filipino Advanced, skip the following.

Isya is the main character in the story. She's apparently a very ambition-less girl who has replaced her home with Mirashoes Inc. Apparently, she's lost all her family, and now practically "lives" in and for Mirashoes. When her colleagues Emy and Belen ask her about her background, she replies, "Wala akong kwento." Then she meets Al, a very ambitious young man, smart and the type that could ascend the ranks. Unfortunately, though, he doesn't want to stay in Mirashoes. After he's made a bit, he'd like to move on. But he's fascinated by what a simple person Isya is. The budding romance inevitably ensues, but somewhere along the way, Al is exasperated with his condition, strikes out and gets himself fired. Isya, model employee that she is, stays and recevies another medal for 8 years of loyal service. Then all of a sudden, she just breaks out in anger.

Mostly, it criticizes how the people think. That they can give up what they can have, what they deserve, and settle for what they have. But it's because they choose to be satisfied and never to want more that this happens. That they're afraid to be exploring again (like how some people tend to be when they've been in a relationship for a long time).

We should never be like that. It reminds me of the time when I was at Mom's Family's Place in Oroqueta, and they got to talking about their children. Mom remembered something from the Joy Luck club. The little girl there kept telling her mom that she was expecting/asking too much of her, that she'd never be the perfect girl she wanted her to be. Then her mom said, "Is there anything wrong with wanting the best for my kids?"

Mom proceeded to say that, "咱若無希望, our children will not reach their full potential." It's true. If you don't keep pushing them and pushing them, they will never realize that they can reach their dreams.

I love my mom, sometimes.


So now you get the context behind Isya.

There's another. G. Claro explained that Isya saw Mirashoes as a sort of Heaven, when in fact, it encouraged a kind of slavery and unquestioning (read: BLIND) acquiescence. Heaven in Hell.

I think I'm an Isya. The Phils is made out to be some sort of Heaven but I don't see it as such.

Xavier is made out to be all good but I don't see it as such.

My home is made out to be all good but I don't see it as such.

Haaaaay.




I am seized with a sudden longing for the old H2 days in Science regular with Mrs. Vasquez. Kenn to my right, Rod to my left, Lance in front, Charles to my front-left, Gian to my front-right, and all the fun we'd have. Kenn, Gian and I. Haha! What fun.

That's when I taught them about licking the whip, I believe. Gian and Kenn also started teasing me about my shampoo-commercial-worthy hair. My God, I miss them doing that. Shit.

I ruined the plangganas! I have to show Gian and be scourged or something. God... ang daming nasayang.



Ooh lookie... It's our (Kenn and my) dear Science teacher in a rather... hm. Suggestive position.

And who is that foxy lady he's with? It's none other than...



Ms. Melanie Yao! My dear, dear Math teacher in High One. They're honestly a cute couple. I should get one of him and Ms. Amanda Lu.

I got these pics from Ms. Yao's Friendster. Ciao!


THE ENERGIZER BUNNY:

Aldwin Calubad: makakatulognakomga3to4am
Raphael Malilay: Do what I did: eat sugar and drink coffee for breakfast
Allen Yu: ...
Allen Yu: are you crazy???
Raphael Malilay: Hey
Allen Yu: you'll be like the energizer bunny on steroids
Raphael Malilay: All the grogginess just goes away
Aldwin Calubad: cgemaybei'lldothat
Allen Yu: NOOO!
Allen Yu: i want my friends! not energizer bunnies!

I am always the voice of reason.

In case you're wondering, Aldwin's spacebar was out-of-whack.

No comments: