Thursday, September 28, 2006

A Rainy Day in Manila and Weekly Things

Ever since yesterday, there’d been a storm sweeping past Manila. Consequently, there was no school today. Unfortunately, that meant that there was no internet as well, and later, electricity.

The rain was really strong throughout the day, but also rather beautiful. Aside from the fact that it tore the roof of the garage space we were renting out wide open and blew it across the roof of the opposite building. And for some reason, I have it all on video.

Elsewhere, I’m actually rather glad that there was no school. I seemed to be so wrapped up in daily life that I’d lost myself in the flow of things. The abrupt break threw everything into a screeching halt, and gave everything time to catch up with each other. And it was good. I got to bond with my brothers over a guitar and Dalandan Soda-Vanilla Iced Cream.

The one problem is the homework.

Haaaaay.

Last Friday, I spent most of the afternoon walking around with Charles. When we went to speak to Ye laoshi, she poked him with her arm and pushed him all the way to the wall because he apparently hadn’t learned anything the whole of last year, so she was both mad and hurt about that. Charles can’t even speak a bit of Chinese nowadays—mostly just stuff he’s memorized. I also ended up giving her my blog address (this one) and she replied that it was rather long, then attempted to understand the URL via breakdown: canada + autumn.

Last Wednesday, I just slept most of the afternoon, so when I woke up at 1:00 am after 9 hours of sleep to do my homework, I was pretty alright.

That is, until came 3 o’ clock, the magical hour which always gets me missing Canada. I’m serious. As in, at the stroke of three in the morning, it’s as if my view of the world just changed somehow. Does that sound crazy? It’s like, I was in Canada all of a sudden, and the feelings I felt while I was there just bubbled inside of me and threatened to explode. I literally fell back against the chair. Canada. I pulled myself out of my seat and went to look outside the window, saw the near-empty roads and the yellow street light, and I just felt so hurt inside.

God.

And then ten minutes later, the feeling just suddenly went away. Never again. I might just implode the next time it happens.

Last Sunday, since there was no school, I stayed up until two in the morning listening to the radio and scouting for new songs. I came upon this station called Edge Radio whilst Alex and Andrew brought in some vodka (“Arctic”) mixed with lots of Sprite and offered me some.

I began to listen to it, and it was actually really nice. It was this nice feel-good + rock kind of music that I just revered.

I wrote down some of the lyrics into my cellphone and searched for it that morning after I woke up.

That’s when I found out that Edge Radio is actually a prestigious international Christian Rock station that beams to several parts of the globe.

And now, my friends, I am in love with Christian Rock.

But lastly, last night, Wednesday evening, I suddenly heard a song play on my All Music playlist.
It’s called I Can’t Live Without Your Love (listen to it here [wma] [rm]) by Aaron Lines.

Jackie and Christian will probably know my history with this song. It’s really something that no one else but I can appreciate, because the tune is sappily romantic with soaring vocals and that just doesn’t fit into the genres of any of my friends (Kenn is a rock-rap kind of guy, Chai is an upbeat-romantic type of guy, Walter defines Emo, Jackie goes for more positive music, Christian is into R&B and Pop, Cath is a Good message Rock-or-Pop type of girl, and I’m not sure about Katan.). Guess we all bring something to the table.

Elsewhere, the return of the Chinese Pictures!



No comments: