Tuesday, September 12, 2006

It just goes to show that the songs you grew up listening to

Are the very same songs you will be listening to no matter how many years have gone by.

That's what I learned last night. See, I'd been sifting through the contents of my music folder when all of a sudden, I chanced upon two very old songs that I hadn't heard in a while. A very long while. Years, in fact.

The first one was 紅豆 Hong Dou. I had first heard this song when I read about a Chinese version of Eyes On Me, which I enjoyed somewhat at the time. When I downloaded it, it sounded nothing like Eyes On Me, but I was in love with it for a looooong time.

Since I had no idea how to view Chinese in my computer at the time, the lyrics in characters was out of the question, but pinyin was available... and I had conveniently just been learning it at the time.

I never understood what the lyrics meant, but I loved the tune. It was just last night, such a long time after, that I finally researched the lyrics. Here's what came out:

還沒好好的感受 雪花綻放的氣候
我們一起顫抖 會更明白 甚麼是溫柔
還沒跟你牽著手 走過荒蕪的沙丘
可能從此以後 學會珍惜 天長和地久

有時候 有時候 我會相信一切有盡頭
相聚離開 都有時候 沒有甚麼會永垂不朽
可是我 有時候 寧願選擇留戀不放手
等到風景都看透 也許你會陪我 看細水長流

還沒為你把紅豆 熬成纏綿的傷口
然後一起分享 會更明白 相思的哀愁
還沒好好的感受 醒著親吻的溫柔
可能在我左右 你才追求 孤獨的自由

Next is a song I stumbled upon when I first began doing research on Faye Wong. This was almost a year before the insurgence of Cantonese in my life. It said that a certain CD of artistic expression Faye released then was met with much controversy, as people preferred that she stuck to songs like 天空 Tian Kong, a hit song that she had released in the past, but others enjoyed this one more.

I don't pretend to take sides on the whole argument, but one thing I will say is that I love the song 天空. Here it is:

我的天空 為何掛滿濕的淚 
我的天空 為何總灰的臉
飄流在世界的另一邊 
任寂寞侵犯一遍一遍 
天空 劃著長長的思念

你的天空 可有懸著想的雲
你的天空 可會有冷的月
放逐在世界的另一邊 
任寂寞佔據一夜一夜 
天空 藏著深深的思念

我們天空 何時才能成一片 
我們天空 何時能相連
等待在世界的各一邊 
任寂寞嬉笑一年一年 
天空 疊著層層的思念

但願天空 不再掛滿濕的淚 
但願天空 不再塗上灰的臉
------------------------------------------------------------------
Here is another discourse on my past.

Yesterday, I was reading Candide when I saw two words that jumped out to me.

The first was "Andalusian". It's a very white Spanish horse (most are Arabic). I know this because I once bought a toy horse in Minnesota with different breeds of horses at the back of the box. I also did a bit of research on my own during my whole "obsessed with horses" stage and found this. The point is that I'd learned this back when I was six, and so it wasn't a complete waste.

The second word is "choleric". Plain and simple, this means quick to anger. Other synonyms I'd picked up when I perused the entry on choleric in the dictionary are "irascible", "irritable" and "splenetic". I learned this word when I was eleven, when I went through this stage of complete obsession with reading the dictionary.
-------------------------------------------------------------
Lastly, when I was fourteen, for the speech component of my grade in Filipino, I found this poem on the net which I recited and explained in class. It's not a professional one, as my other classmates chose, but one done by--at that time--an eighteen year old. Her name was Arianne Angela Solis, and she had migrated to Canada. The poem was written quite wishy-washily, but nonetheless still won when she entered a contest. She had done it for an ex-boyfriend.

It's beautiful, really, so here it is:

Idlip Arianne Angela Solis

Bakit ba naman,
sumapit na ang gabi,
ang talukap ay di man lang
nag-abalang magsara,
at hayaang dumilim ang paningin
at ang isip ay magpahinga?

Hindi kaya dahil
binabagabag ako ng iyong imahen
na pilit lumalapit sa akin
ngunit akin namang nilalayuan?

Dili kasi'y hindi
pinahintulutan ng panahon
na ang ating mga yabag
ay magdugtong
at ang pintig ng dibdib ay mapag-isa?

Kaya hayaan mo na akong
iduyan ng aking tagong kamalayan
habang tahimik kong dinarama
ang damping halik ng hangin.
Hayaan mong ang multo
ng iyong pagkatao
ay lumutang
at lumipad
papalayo sa langit,
nang sa gayo'y ako'y
humiga na't iunan na
ang ulap na aking inaasam
na hagkan, at ako'y mahimbing
na't maidlip nang malaya.
---------------------------------------------------------
Check this interview out!

Aaron Lines sounds VERY different when he's just talking.

The Aaron Lines Interview

1 comment:

Canadian Autumn said...

Yeah! She's got a very good voice. Hong Dou has special meaning to me, too. Hehe.