Saturday, July 15, 2006

With A Little Love... and Some Tenderness

Earlier Days

I was searching through my mail and found this picture that I'd sent to myself via MMS last year:




It's one I took of a Canadian Sunset just outside of Superstore in 2005. It's literally like lava in the sky. It's hard not to miss Canada now.

Friday Noon High

The day had been rather lousy... I woke up rather late, the iPod kept dying on me, I didn't get to listen to Ai Xiang Sui...

Then there was just so much to do. Science quiz, Filipino test, Math LT, Chinese seatwork . . . of course, there were good points like the very interesting discussion we had in Social Science (about Egyptian culture) and English (about Mythology), but for the most part, I hated the day... then at the very end, at Fencing, we were doing crunches (75 all in all), practicing our stance, a new move called the crossover, drills on the advance lunge, etc...

It's all very interesting, but extremely tiring. By the time we'd finished our one-two-three-four's where we had to squat lower or higher depending on the number, my legs hurt so much I felt like I would collapse.

I was so gonna feel that in the morning. And guess what? I did.

Anyway, directly after changing, I raced up to the Chinese department to give Ye laoshi our journals (which Ryle had asked me to give her for him). After which, I raced back down to the MPH, fearing that the Friday Unplugged had already begun and I hadn't caught the first part. Nope.

I had gotten there quite early, and I found Henrison. We went in and got a seat (realized that we were actually beside JV, Martin and Alphonso). Say hi.

So we wait.

A bunch of commentating (by Filbert and Bro. Terence Ang), settling down and plain weirdness at some points, we got started. Andrew sat in front of us, and Raphael appeared later and realized that another Raphael [Ibaviosa] had taken his seat. So we watch as the first band, "Mao" takes their place and sings an original song.

It was beautiful.

I seriously thought that they rocked. Pity I can't remember what they sang or how it sounded. All I remember is that it was beautiful.

Next is Serve Chilled.

These people quite honestly sucked. Peterson is okay with some vocals, but he should not have sung these two. He's sung much better before. Paul Cheng was playing the violin, Raphael Camus, Raphael Ibaviosa (jeez, there are a lot of Raphael's in our batch, aren't there?) and Maverick Lim played the box thing, and guitars respectively.

The song just really sucked.

So next. We had the Songwriter's Guild. Aww... it's Mr. Asis. Apparently, it's been his dream to sing an original in front of a crowd. Now this song he sang, Exodus with Sam Nantes (or whatever it was) had a LOT of falsettos, apparently, and it takes someone with a very good voice to pull it off. He did great. Congrats, Mr. Asis. Hope your dream's come true.

Next, we had this nameless band that said they were just the "H4-D band". So when the crowd was asked if there were any H4-D-ers were here, a whole row of them on the opposite end of the MPH started cheering.

The H4-D band sang Narda by whowasitagain?, and Hands Down by Dashboard Confessional.

It seemed that everyone was surprised that I was actually singing along to Narda. Is it that surprising that I know the song with an OPM obsessed brother? I mean, I bet they know the lyrics to Seeing Things or You Were Meant For Me by heart by now simply because of me.

They were actually pretty good. Better than Serve Ch... ehem. Other bands.

Then came the Guidance Department. See, this was actually quite funny, because Mr. Rivera was at the guitars and Mr. Young at the vocals, but Mr. Lacon and Mr. Santos seemed to just be sitting pretty there with their rattles... ehem. Maracas.

They sang True by Spandau Ballet (which Raphie and Andrew kept laughing at. Oh, at this point, Raphie had already moved to the seat which Raphael Ibav had taken earlier. They'd left after they performed) and Upside Down by Jack Johnson.

Now I'd heard the first one many times before, and the second one, once or twice, but never really to depth, although I was pretty familiar with Jack Johnson's music.

Needless to say, with Mr. Young's experience in singing (*ehemcollegegradmrbehs*ehem*), it went really well. He started clapping his hands over his head to signify that everyone follow suit, and we were all clapping as he sang. Everyone had even been screaming encore by the time they left. But oh well.

So Bro. Terence Ang and Filbert were saying their goodbyes, we ended with a prayer and we all left.

I texted Mr. Young when I got the office, told him he did great. He said he'd been super nervous.

The end.

Post Script Notes: (a.k.a. where I post all the green or mean stuff that I couldn't post earlier)

- Bro. Terence Ang had been pushing for audience interaction the whole time. First, he kept referring to Mr. Bumatayo as his twin.

Second, he asked us to raise our hands if we had never loved, and if we were currently in love.

Next, he asks us to picture someone we love. I wasn't quite sure what to do, since I'd been love-less for quite a while now. So I just left my mind blank.

- Bro. Terence Ang, in one of his audience-interaction escapades, asked what one of the students (from the audience) thought of the song. The student suddenly knelt down several inches from Bro. Terence Ang, to which he immediatebly commanded him to stand, saying "Don't kneel to me."

Andrew and Raphie started smiling, and Raphie said something like "I shall knight you!" and then I started laughing for completely different reasons, to which Andrew laughed and pointed at me.

Then Raphie looked at us all weirdly and then suddenly caught on. Lol. Later on, we found out that his English teacher was, in fact, Mr. Perez. Raphie then said "No wonder. That's where he learned it from." We all burst out laughing.

Afterwards, Raphie mentioned... other things.



It was a great Friday, especially with Alexis sending giving me the link to Carrie Underwood's Don't Forget To Remember Me video, which I am in love with right now.



Upside Down by Jack Johnson

Who’s to say what’s impossible
Well they forgot this world keeps spinning
And with each new day
I can feel a change in everything

And as the surface breaks reflections fade
But in some ways they remain the same
And as my mind begins to spread it’s wings
There’s no stopping curiosity

I want to turn the whole thing upside down
I’ll find the things they say just can’t be found
I’ll share this love I find with everyone
We’ll sing and dance to mother nature’s songs
I don’t want this feeling to go away

Who’s to say I can’t do everything
Well I can try, and as I roll along I begin to find
Things aren’t always just what they seem

I want to turn the whole thing upside down
I’ll find the things they say just can’t be found
I’ll share this love I find with everyone
We’ll sing and dance to mother nature’s songs

This world keeps spinning
And there’s no time to waste
Well it all keeps spinning, spinning
Round and round and upside down

Who’s to say what’s impossible and can’t be found
I don’t want this feeling to go away

Please, don’t go away
Please, don’t go away
Please, don’t go away

Is this how it’s supposed to be?
Is this how it’s supposed to be?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It's Rafael Camus. I think I'm going to be your official batchmate name corrector thingy.