Tuesday, July 25, 2006

A Poem For/About "Days With The Lord"

And where now is your oh-so common voice in my ear?
Of flesh exposed and eyes blinded by cotton
Where wafts to the vanillin scent, and the impressions
Of knees on the ground and words in the air?

Why now, only a day hence, does its visage haunt me
Like a dream of blessed sadness, marred with food
And tears and silly mistakes in the past?
With insecurities and faces all too clear?

Hither swathes love and pulls
me beneath the undertow,
Like the cross that mocked my weak
shoulder like a father would his child
Words imperfect do but cleanse the soul
And leave it open for interpretation now, if you please

Candlelight restrained in their lifeline wicks
Lived and slept with the days
That so scorched my mind with their image
For millions of years evermore;
Quiet with nature in the dank walls,
Ravaged or graced with heaven’s sweat
All over that innocent, forlorn playground
That I watched quietly over from above

Long talks over juices and a meal in bread
That lasted loud and quiet in the corridors
That burst with life yet were so devoid of it
But nary a moment feared I that such life would go

Words in grapevine boxes poured into my heart
And swirled some kind of humorous sympathy
That lifted and grieved me out of the study and into
The last days of the life I loved

Clear liquids that flame breathed of and
Concealed in cans that lit the way for the
Hammer and wooden beams and metal spite that joined them
And the clueless boys that perceived not
Hi, so inane

So wooden hearts found their way into
Hardened hands that partook of the message
They traced on its face
And cards a gentle reminder so
But I froze the world for the first beautiful four letters
Inked in loving envy, or had I imagined that part?
And I’ll see the raiment, aye, such divine envy

Hand on my back will blur like
every other sensation anyway
Cry as I might, I will find that an X’s last reminders
Are the last vestiges of the hours that
rang in those eternal halls
As I made my way one final time
through a flame-filled path
That took all of you away

And into the claps,
song,
and arms of the people I love

And I’ll wonder why you aren’t there
But I have Him with me, now
Do you, won't you ask for more?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

i get it at it's uhm... shallowest meaning(literal). lol.

but it seems there's more to it. :P

Anonymous said...

good sort of... maybe.... er... yea...:D

Anonymous said...

Beautiful poem. It's very... elegant, graceful, in a way. It strikes me as some sort of dance, maybe ballet(?), what with the adjectives and classical style of sorts. Wish I could write with such style. *appplause*

Canadian Autumn said...

Who is anonymous?